Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Stimulus Monkey

So, I'm going to apologize in advance for yet another post in reference to the chimpanzee incident. However, I feel the need to respond to all the controversy surrounding the comic that The New York Post printed, The Stimulus Monkey. I first heard about it while I was in Storrs, visiting my sister at University of Connecticut. There was an article about the comic, and a poll conducted on whether the student body thought that the comic was an insult to President Obama.

Personally, after first seeing the comic, I was shocked. I immediately thought back to when calling an African- American a monkey was a racial slur. While I sincerely hope that The New York Post would not ever try to print a comic intended to be insulting to our own president, I am not sure if they are completely without fault. Why bring up the stimulus bill then? Is it just a coincidence that President Obama recently signed that bill?

Furthermore, I am a bit appalled at the fact that some people feel comfortable with the comic. I was under the impression that we have moved dramatically past the differences between skin colors. Maybe I was wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I find the image quite appalling as well.. The fact that they even thought of doing it bothers me. I guess they thought they'd get attention, they sure did!

    ReplyDelete