Saturday, February 21, 2009

New Look of the Stamford Times

Every Friday I always look forward to reading the Stamford Times. For those of you who don't know what The Stamford Times is, it is an addition to The Advocate printed out every Thursday, delivered on Friday. It is set up exactly like The Advocate except it covers issues on a more weekly level rather than daily. To be honest, I'm not so sure why I enjoy The Stamford Times so much. Maybe because the fact that my parents only order The New York Times and Nowy Dziennik (yes, it is Polish) I have seemed to develop a craving for local news. Anyway, I think it covers the local news well.
So when the mail came yesterday I dug through all my college mail and couldn't seem to find it. But yet, I uncovered some newspaper that resembled the Westword (with the way it was set up) and decided to see what it was. Indeed, it was the Stamford Times. I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty devastated to see my beloved paper have a complete new look. Turning to page 2, there was actually an article named "Introducing the new look of The Stamford Times." Reading it I discovered that this was primarily for the "on-the-go" lifestyles of today, making it easier to read with new fonts chosen along with each story on the same page. Most meaningfully, one wouldn't have to fold and "crinkle" the paper as much where now, you read it like a book.
Will this new paper be truley effective? Personally, I got over my grudge after a couple minutes, realizing that it's just a paper and will still have the same news. Additionally, I do think it is now easier to read.
.....Secretly, I believe that the Stamford Times must have read the Westword and realized what a fine paper we have and stole our look. Who knows, the Advocate may develop the look and next thing you know, we'll have the New York Times copying us as well.

1 comment: