Wednesday, March 11, 2009

$400 billion. That is a big number. Sadly, this is the amount of debt that important papers such as the times are facing. How did we get here? I know that the economy is in the crapper, and someone, somewhere made a mistake, and their address ended in "United States of America."
As a student who wants to pursue a career in journalism and who will definitely have to make a living off her writing, I am dismayed by the impending death of print journalism. I dont want to try to break into an industry that is crumbling at its foundation. Even as a simple fan of magazines, the affect of the economy and technological progression on print media concerns me. I love being able to physically pick up a copy of my favorite magazine, or peruse an article at length during breakfast. I do not rely on the internet for news, I simply don’t have time to spend searching for news on the computer. This might make me lazy, or ignorant, but I like reading PAPER, not PIXELS.

In addition to my personal reaction,I believe that a society's public forum is an important reflection of its' ideals, attitudes, and growth. Up until the past 10 or so years, newspapers have provided this necessary space for discussion. Although the internet has become an important component of public discussion, keeping the value in print journalism alive is necessary since the newspaper format has more authority than bloggers or internet gossip.

No comments:

Post a Comment